Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tour Edge Golf Black 05 Belly Putter

With all the discussion recently on the PGA Tour with the belly putters being used. We thought it logical for our next review to be on one of the newer models of the controversial putters, the Tour Edge Golf 05 Black Belly Putter.

Tour-winning performance returns with the all-new T-Balance putter. The T-Balance features a patented 90° bend shaft that delivers an advanced level of feel new before achieved in any other putter design.

The shaft's arched structure is stronger than a traditional straight putter shaft, thereby minimizing vibration and dramatically improving feel. You'll feel the effectiveness of the design as the shaft pulls the head through the ball with a pure, effortless stroke.

The lower portion of the "T" - the stability bar - places more weight directly behind the sweet spot to increase the putter's moment of inertia (ability to resist twisting). The result is increased accuracy on contact, and better-feeling impact on every putt.

We gave our senior writer and analyst Eddie Garrison the Tour Edge belly putter to test on the practice green and out on the course to see what he thought of Tour Edge's latest putters -- Here's what he had to say.

I have heard and read all the latest discussions on the belly putters. Should they be legal? Why are they not banned from competition? It's anchored to you so it's an unfair advantage.

Setting all that aside, I took the Tour Edge 05 Black putter through it's paces to see how it would stack up to my 'conventional' putter I currently have in the bag.

Upon receiving the putter, I loved the look of it from the start. The head of the putter has a great look for lining putts up and the unique 90° bend shaft really fit my eye from the get go.

I have only tried a few putts prior to this with another belly putter and I was not impressed I have to say. However, I put that aside to give the Tour Edge putter my full un-bias attention in this review.

After about 20 or 30 initial putts just to see how I would setup with the putter, with it being so different from my conventional putter. I began to see the advantages the Tour Edge belly putter could offer to any one's game.

I went with anchoring the putter into my abdomen first, then proceeded to line up the ball to the putter's face. Which to me, is one of the easiest and best I have played with in a while.

Again the 90° bend shaft and the alignment aids really assist you quite easily with lining your putts up.

Making putts with the Tour Edge putter, the ball comes off the face of the club very nicely and has a great solid feel when you strike the ball.

With the grooving patterns on the face of the club, it really allows the ball to come off the club with a true roll without any sort of weird skidding or hopping as you might see on other putters.

I put the putter through all the paces on the practice green then took it out on-course to play a full round with it.

I could not been more pleased with the results I saw both on the practice green and the on-course play of the club.

Short putts, 10-footers to long putts -- It didn't matter. The feel of the club and the solid feel and release of the ball off the putter face made it easy to roll the ball close or into the hole in any situation I came across.

The longer putter compared to a conventional putter also gave me an advantage just off the green as well. The ball seemed to really cut roll nicely through the longer fringe and gave me a true roll and line tracking towards the hole.

Overall, I was very pleased with the overall performance, feel and manufacturing of the Tour Edge 05 Black Belly Putter.

It's now going straight into my bag for sure.

No comments: